You know, normally I would apologize for being such a delinquent blogger and waiting so long since my last post. But I started thinking that between getting married, honeymooning, moving to another state, and starting to settle in to a new place (with no internet) since my last blog....I'm doing pretty well to be posting again after not-quite 3 weeks!
John and I were married August 2nd, and then enjoyed almost a week of relaxing in NC. The wedding was great, although a bit of a blur. I've loved seeing other people post pictures of the wedding (on facebook, blogs, etc.). It's so great to see it because you're so excited during the moment that there's no way you remember what the flower arrangements on the reception tables looked like, for example. Or what the cake looked like (although I remember that it was VERY good!!). Or that one of our groomsmen was so tall that the tux company had to turn a 3-button tux into a 2-button tux on the day of so that he would fit in with the rest of them. Or some of the little "moments" that you're not around or too busy to see, like my nephew adoring the band and the reception. Many people in my family had random health issues that day -- like my mother not being able to get out of bed because of vertigo! --- but in the end they were all able to make it. My entire extended family is amazing, and I already miss them all very much. When we called in the whole clans for group photos after the wedding, the photographer about fainted. I can't wait to see those pictures though, because those are the people who have taught me all along what 'marriage' and 'family' are all about.
The honeymoon was very relaxing and very "us." We hiked at Chimney Rock, made sandwhiches for lunch every day, ate out at really nice dinners (okay, so that's not like us normally, but it was a really special treat!), enjoyed the scenic surroundings, and were generally lazy (that's pretty typical). Ashley gave us a really cool REI picnic backpack (with a picnic blanket, acrylic glasses, real silverware, etc.), which was neat. We took a picnic lunch to the Biltmore on Wednesday, toured the winery behind-the-scenes, ate an amazing dinner on the estate, and stayed for a concert. I'll try to post some pictures of Lake Lure, Chimney Rock, and the Biltmore Estate soon -- when I unearth my camera-to-computer connecting cord from it's lost location in one of our unopened boxes, that is.
Speaking of boxes, we're actually doing really well on the unpacking front -- most of our necessary boxes are unpacked. For the first few days in our new place, I was having to run into the extra bedroom and tear through boxes of wedding gifts before or while cooking a meal: "I know someone gave us a casserole dish/colander/etc.!" Now mainly only my clothes or books remain boxed. I've been wearing the same outfit for 3 weeks (I'm kidding -- I've been wearing the same...4 or 5 outfits for 3 weeks...and definitely the same pair of jeans almost every day....). We'll get there. Most of the rest of the apartment is very settled in and live-able.
We have an awesome apartment. I had been pretty concerned about how that might turn out. John received the lease in the mail and paid the security deposit, but had never seen the apartment (because it was occupied right up until our wedding), so we were a little nervous about signing it or returning it sight-unseen. We left NC early to reach TN on Friday after our wedding well within business hours, did a brief inspection of the place, signed and turned in our lease with our first rent payment before 5 p.m., and started moving in that night. We were both surprised with how big it is! It has fairly small bedrooms, but the living space (den/dining area plus kitchen) are all quite spacious. And, it's directly across the street from John's school, so he can walk to classes (which have been going on for a week now). God knew exactly what we needed, but He wanted to make sure I knew that it had to be from His hand and at His timing.
Unfortunately we don't have internet at the apartment yet -- we will, because John will need it to study, but the cable company hasn't come out yet to install it. So my internet access for the next week or so might continue to be spotty. But, as of yesterday, we have an actual mattress (no more air mattress on the floor), a desk for John from Target, AND bunny ears for our TV so we can catch the Olympics! How exciting! I'll catch up more soon.
P.S. - Be praying that John and I are able to find a good church soon, and that I am able to find a job quickly -- or, if the job doesn't come quickly, that I am able to find a group of people to plug in with. I know almost no one in Nashville besides my husband --- and, as sweet and fun as he is to hang out with, he does have full-time school to deal with!
2 comments:
Glad to hear everything is ok for you two! I hope you guys enjoyed Chimney Rock. I love that place.
Anyways, I promise I'll get up there one of these days! Talk to you soon!
Caroline...I hope all is well! Is this still your blog? I've loved reading it:) I miss you!!!!!
Post a Comment