Shabby bkgrd Enchanted

28 July 2010

Jam & Bread

I've loved reading my friend Liz blog about her canning and pickling adventures this summer, so I thought I'd share my first canning experience. 



I tried strawberry freezer jam this summer and it worked!  I got the recipe from a co-worker.  She's a true TN grandma so I figured her jam was probably fantastic -- and it was!  Here is her simple recipe:

Buy a package of ‘Sur Jel’ not sure of spelling, it would be in the section of ‘canning’ jars I think.
Or possibly in area of jello but more likely in the canning area.
As best I remember, you put certain amount of water with pkg. of sur jel & bring to boil to dissolve.
You mash the strawberries in layers, I think about 2 -3 cups.
Then add LOTS of sugar (maybe 3 or 4 cups) - yes, it’s mostly sugar.
You stir & stir; stir & stir; let set a few minutes,
then add the sur gel mixture & stir; stir & stir; stir some more.
Pour in jars & seal; let sit out over night, then put in freezer.
Just take jar from freezer, spread on biscuits with butter - yummy.
Put remainder back in freezer. It’s ok to have frozen & then re-freeze.

When I picked up the Sure Jell at the store, I opted for the low-sugar variety so I wouldn't have to add the full 3-4 cups of sugar in our jam.  Bev's recipe made it sound so laid back and easy, but the instructions in the package were extreme!  I felt like they were written by evil grandmothers.  Basically, you had to follow them exactly -- no lowering the quantity or sugar content from what was posted, etc.  DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING IN THIS RECIPE OR YOUR JAM WILL BE TERRIBLE.  I'm not a big recipe follower, so it was torture.  I was hoping to add in some mint, fresh herbs, or orange zest but I caved to the printed instructions of the evil grandmothers and just used fresh strawberries and sugar.

In the end, I was shocked that I actually created jam/jelly.  Of course, freezer jam is totally taking the "easy" way and I didn't have to boil the jars and lids and do canning the "real" way......but it was still a new adventure for me!

Next up: trying my sister-in-law's "easy" recipe for bread!

1 comment:

Liz said...

So proud of you! Next time try the freezer jam pectin (I like Ball brand). You don't have to do any boiling. Just smash the fruit, add the sugar and pectin and stir. Voila!

Keep it up girlie! I think you should try my pickle recipe next!

xoxo liz