Shabby bkgrd Enchanted

26 July 2010

Would I make a good school librarian?

I'm back. 

I've felt a bit vulnerable knowing that "everyone" (all 3 people that read my blog!) knows just how confused I am, but at the same time it's freeing to admit how far I am from having a plan!  But I did want to re-visit this to show that I am making some progress. 

City Planner
Speech Therapist
Dietitian - Let's face it, I pretty much eat what I want.  I think it would be fascinating to learn so much about food, but if I had that degree I probably wouldn't take my own advice!
Guidance Counselor
Therapist/Counselor - I could see this being something that I come back to later in life.
Teacher - With my undergrad, I would have to certify to teach Social Studies, but apparently that is a subject that is not in demand at all.  I don't want to be doomed to job-searching for the rest of my life.
Librarian

If I could go to school for all of them, I would.  But realistically I'm down to 3 options.  For guidance or speech, I would have to take out student loans. 

John and I have recently started attending a financial group with some people from our church to help us think more about what we're spending, saving, investing, etc., and to learn more about Biblical principles regarding money.  We've been trying to focus on getting a handle on our spending (eating out!) and save towards several goals, including a "new" (used) car for me in the not-too-distant future when my Honda gives out.  One thing that we both hate is the looming shadow of his student loans.  I know student loan debt isn't the end of the world, but being in debt is new for both of us and we don't like it at all.  If I'm going to be in debt, then I want it to be for a mortgage for a cute little house with a real garden! 

So of course this is shaping my decision a little.  I've been giving the Masters in Library and Information Sciences program a good deal of thought recently and I'm pretty hopeful about it.  I'm still gathering information, but I could see this being a good fit for me (if I was to be accepted into the program).  I met with a faculty member of the program and received the application paperwork to look over.  So it's a step! 

I used to want to be a librarian (yes, I have always been a dork) but was dissuaded because of threats of "never having a job" and "no one is going to use libraries in the future."  After research, I no longer believe those comments.  I'm hoping to shadow a friend soon who is a school librarian soon to see what her typical day looks like.  I'm not sold yet...but I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere...

2 comments:

Vance said...

I think you'd be a good librarian. I also think you'd be a good guidance counselor or speech pathologist. C, As long as I have known you (which is what...going on 8+ years now?), I thought you had the spirit to do whatever you set your mind to (mean that - sorry to get mushy).

I've tried to remember to pray for you guys when I can since your post last week. I'll keep it up, but I think you are well on your way to figuring it out!

Vance said...

PS - I'm still planning on coming to see you guys one weekend when I'm in Birmingham.

PPS - When I'm come up, I'm totally cool with just doing sandwiches instead of eating out if it will help you guys save some money :).