Shabby bkgrd Enchanted

06 May 2010

And 475 Days Later....

I've decided to come back to my blog. 

John has been getting on to me about not blogging, and every excuse I have been using is now void.  Hopefully as I explain my excuses and the reasons that they are now worthless, I will also be catching everyone up on some of the things that have been going on for the past year.  Warning:  this will be long.

"Oh, I don't have any time" - well, I (mainly) only work 1 job now.  Whoo-hooo!
If you know me, you may know that in the past 1 year and 9 months that I have been married and living in TN, I have been unemployed and then worked 4 different jobs.  For almost 2 months, I couldn't find a job.  Job searching is very hard for me because I don't have a career "field" or really know what I want to do with the rest of my life.  So, it's hard to narrow down which jobs to research, what to apply for, what to pass over, etc.  It can be completely overwhelming!  It was also terrible timing for job-hunting in the fields I thought I might be interested in.  At first I thought I might want to work in public health/city planning, and that I would try to find an entry level or assistant type job in a real estate office or for a non-profit....right as the recession really hit.  Who was hit first?  Real estate.  Who cut jobs next?  Non-profits and local or city goverments.  So it was back to the drawing board. 
I eventually found the medical marketing job that was mentioned below and we mutually agreed that I would work 3 months as a full-time 'contract' employee before going full-time for real.  Well, after just over 3 months I was ready to move on to something different.  Amazing surgeon, but not the best office environment.  During this time, I had picked up some evening seasonal retail work at a cute gift store named Swoozie's.  I thought Swoozie's probably wouldn't need me after Christmas, so I lined up part-time work at the local YMCA to work during their big season:  New Year's Resolution time.  Somehow, for short time (maybe a month and a half?), I ended up working all 3 jobs: full-time office job in the day, gift store in the evening, and YMCA on weekends.  John and I decided it would be safe for me to quit a full-time job since I had 2 part-time jobs to fall back on, so I took the leap and quit -- exhilarating!  Amazingly, Swoozie's was able to bring me on full-time after that, so I worked full-time there and a couple of mornings a week at the Y.  I liked what I was doing, but that was a fairly hard time to keep in touch with anyone because I was pretty much working at one job or the other mornings/days/nights/weekends/holidays...you name it.  So at one point I did have a fairly valid excuse of no time.  In February of this year I started a new full-time job at a small Christian university.  I have a real, grown-up job again!  Sadly Swoozie's is going out of business, so lately I have been going back to work a few weekends with them as they go through the liquidation process but that won't last for much longer.
 
"Oh, I don't have a computer" - well, that was quite a debacle, but it's solved now. 
Shortly after we moved to TN my laptop died and we started saving up for a new laptop for me.  Well, around last October or November we were finally able to get me a new laptop -- a beautiful Mac!  Unfortunately, on the night of the Super Bowl, John's laptop was stolen out of his car, so he now uses my laptop for school and we attempt to share it in the evenings.  But, since I do sit for hours staring at a computer screen at work now... 

"Oh, I don't know what to say" or "Oh, there's nothing new to talk about" - well, I'm sure I've done or thought SOMETHING worth mentioning in the last 475 days!  But this blog post will be long enough already.

"Oh, maybe we should start a new blog together" - well, we tried that here and discovered that John has no personal interest in blogging, he just wants to encourage me to write my thoughts in my own venue.  Which is another reason I came back to this blog instead of the one we started together.  [Besides, I felt bad about stealing Needtobreathe lyrics.]  This was a blog that I successfully updated for quite a while, and it was a great outlet for me.  Hopefully I'll be able to get back into the routine of updating, and maybe make a few changes - like updating the blogroll (many of those links aren't good right now!) or giving it a blog face-lift.  But I don't think I'll change the name or start a new blog for now.  Even though Glad Oaks is no more, where I'm from is still a big part of who I am. 

So we'll see where this goes!

No comments: