Okay, I haven't wanted to post this on my blog, but I figure that maybe if I do I will hold myself more accountable knowing that it's out in cyberspace for all my "readers" to see (all 3 of you -- thank you!)...
I am trying to lose some weight.
High blood pressure runs in my family and I didn't realize my BP had been slowly climbing until a recent doctor's appointment. It was fairly high, but the doc thought it might be a fluke, so I had to go in 1 month later for a follow-up. A month later it was better, but still high. So I have to get my weight down to get my BP under control -- because I want it to actually improve, not just be artifically controlled by medicines. I do NOT want to be put on blood pressure medicine.
The funny thing is that I've felt perfectly fine and had no idea it was bad. My doctor kept asking me, "are you tired all the time? do you have frequent headaches? really, are you sure you don't have headaches?" Well, no, no, and yes. I feel great.
We talked about the foods I eat, and overall I actually generally eat fairly high-quality, nutritious foods. I just struggle with correct portion sizes and eat too MUCH of these foods. I've written down everything I've eaten in the past 2 weeks so that I will be more mindful of what I'm putting in my body. I was doing fairly well until last weekend's trip home to SC -- we had big servings of low country boil (frogmore stew) two nights, and plenty of junk while on the road. The sad thing is, I do know what I should be eating, I just don't stick with it. In the past, I even wanted to become a dietician! Furman didn't offer that degree, so I changed plans, but I took a couple pre-req's, shadowed local dieticians with the hospital system, had a few nutrition appointments myself, etc.
I've also tried to add more physical activity into each week. I hate to work out, but I've found some co-workers who will work out with me a few days a week and also another local friend who wants to join me in getting into shape.
I've enjoyed reading some blogs that talk about healthy food a lot and hopefully I'll work in more of those tips into my own life: sweettater (awesome blog!! and I actually know her a little bit in real life), katheats, healthyteacher, etc.
So, wish me luck! I'll try to post how things are going. My next appointment is at the end of September.
1 comment:
Definitely good luck! Post any things that you find helpful for cooking, portion sizes, etc. We need to start doing the same thing and exercising more too. :)
Post a Comment