Shabby bkgrd Enchanted

10 April 2008

Disclaimer: If you are a boy, this will completely bore you. And possibly some girls too. Heck, sometimes it even bores me!

Ooops!
Our preacher found out that the surgery he was planning to have in July is scheduled for 29 July...which is only a few days before our wedding on 2 August. As he is an older gentleman and will potentially require some extended recovery time, he's bowing out of the wedding. I'm disappointed because he was my pastor at the church I attended during my middle school / early high school years, so he was very fundamental in shaping my ideas -- and he answered so many of my endless questions during those years! He was sort of a grandfather figure to me at that time. Many people have also told me that he is a great counselor, so I was looking forward to John and I working with him.
Which means we no longer have a preacher... kind of an important element if you ask me!
So, it's time to ask a few more possibilities. It's a good thing that my family has spent significant time in several different PCA churches and therefore know -- and LIKE -- quite a few PCA pastors, because the wedding pastor has to be in that denomination for us to use the church that we want for our wedding (the church where I was born and baptized and attended until middle school). I think it would be cool for my uncle to do the service, but unfortunately he's ordained in a different denomination.
In other wedding news (not that anyone cares, but it makes me feel like something has been accomplished!):
Date - Got it.
Time - Don't got it. Evening, but not sure of the time yet.
Venues - Reception location booked. In the middle of the application process to use the church, but it looks promising (www.secondpca.org).
Caterer - Comes with the location.
Preacher - None. Nada.
Cake - I've booked a cake lady and will pick up samples of the cake flavors next week. I also have a pre-scheduled consultation with another cake lady on Monday evening, but I may cancel it.
Photos - Our first choice photographer is unavailable. Time to start emailing a few others that friends have recommended.
Reception decor - My mom and I purchased some very cool (very cheap!) mosaic glass type candle globes to use on the tables. I think playing with light will be neat since it's a rather dark venue (low ceiling, exposed brick walls). I need to look into some more interesting table linens than just the standard black or white.
Bridal party - Still no final decision. Wavering over some tough choices because I have quite a few girlfriends that I love and admire and want involved, but it needs to be a small wedding party (financially and due to the small size of our wedding overall).
Attire - My mom and I did some in-town dress-hunting last night. Looks like we may head to Atlanta this weekend and make a final decision on my dress. Then I'll move on to bridesmaid dresses (Psssst: I'm considering some from Target!)
Guest list - A terrible and awful thing.
Wedding website - No progress, but I've looked at various samples online.
Save the dates/ Invitations - Same as above.
Ceremony music - Come to think of it, I still haven't asked my brother (voice, classical guitar) or my cousin (voice, piano) about performing. I also need to email my old Celtic harp instructor to see if he'd play.
Reception music - My first choice (a group of cool people from my church that used to provide fun music for our annual church picnics and events) hasn't practiced together in about a year, so they declined. I've emailed one professional band and plan to email another today. Waiting to hear prices...we will likely end up with a DJ instead, but it doesn't hurt to do some research first!

2 comments:

Vance said...

whoa...I feel dizzy

John said...

I love you! You are the greatest financee I could ever ask for. You are really doing a great job of planning even if it hasn't all gone as planned.