Shabby bkgrd Enchanted

08 April 2008

Tuesday's "List"

Since I couldn't think of a good list topic for today's post, I decided to instead tell y'all -- like Donna D in her blog post today -- that wedding guest lists are AWFUL.
[See, it's on the "List" topic, right?]
-
It's so painful to decide who does or does not make "the List" -- especially with a small budget, a financial/parental limit of no more than 100 or so guests in attendance, and a huge family! This List will affect our pricing estimates (and final prices) for everything - especially food, cake, and beverages.
Just to invite family members, we're already inviting about 75 people. John's mom (who is totally on the ball!) has already sent us a listing, complete with addresses, for about 30 more people who she expects to attend the wedding -- mainly their close family friends. My parents owe me the same type listing for their close, long-standing friends that they need to invite.
-
So, the question is: do John and I get to invite any friends to our wedding?
-
A better question may be: will John and I have any friends after the wedding if we don't get to invite many people?

2 comments:

Vance said...

If I'm not invited, I'll still be yall's friend. I won't be petty :).

That's tough though. If I've done the math correctly...75+30ish(Jantz's side)+30ish(your side)= 105. Now, is that 100 person limit for the whole thing or 100 for each side? B/c if that's the total number, you won't have enough room for just family and close family friends :p. If it gets down to it...I'll pay my way there. I may only be eating a salad and drinking water, but I'd find a way to get there :).

Call me if you ever need just to vent and don't want to take it out on Jantz :) Have a great night!

Jen said...

Even though I didn't actually go through with the wedding I had been planning (yay for that), I had already done the guest list part, and here's what I learned:

1. It's *your* wedding, your friends come before your parents friends. If you need to, you and John could sit down, look at the numbers, and then ask each respective set of parents to limit their invites to x number of people. Keep the sides fair...

2. Invite your close friends...and if you can't afford to invite them all, those who really deserve to have you in their life will understand your situation and love you anyway.

3. What if you and John had a little pre-wedding party with all of your close friends...you could celebrate with them ahead of time so they can be a part of things...but it would alleviate some of the wedding expenses.

It's definitely tough. I completely understand what it's like...my offer is still up...any help you need, an ear to bend, anything...you know where to find me.